Monday, February 27, 2006

"LIFE" in Salvador...Pt. 3

Hey ya'll. So I am sitting in the American Airlines Admirals Club...who do I think I am?!!!? I love it !! I left Salvador at around 3AM. I really did not want to leave. I was really sad. I'm sure you all know, about that feeling you use to get as a kid, when it was time to go home, after a wonderful break. Obviously this wasn't a vacation, but I really became attached to my environment in Salvador. I'll return soon. Ya'll Salvador is AFRICA!!! I swear I have ancestors there. There are so many things I must tell you about Salvador, but you have to read my daily journal entries to find out. WEll, I'm going to rap this one up. I miss everyone. I'm back!!!
oh... I'm sort of backing up in my journal entries. So don't be confused if I repeat something.

Excerpts from Journal Entry 2/12/06
....Talk about stepping out on faith. The people here are all from different walks of life. We have a 17 year old here...17!!!??!!! Wow! I felt so old when he told me that. Wow! I remember 17, but that was years ago. And although I was a very focused 17 year old...focusing on the right college at that time...I was still running the streets. Not once did I even consider to just volunteer in something as amazing as this. I mean, the good thing, is that I'm doing it right now. We also have two guys here over 50...retired...married...kids my age and older. Wow. This is a great thing we're all doing with our lives. I have to admit though, when I first walked in the house and noticed the room situation, I was like, "What...are you serious?" My room.....Quarto 6, about 10x14 feet, 4 bunk beds(TWIN), lockers, shelving units for clothes, a small wooden night stand, 2 standing/rotating fans(No A/C!!! What?!? And we are in Salvador...near the equator...it's 90 degrees outside)...5 roommates, 3 shared bathrooms with a house of 25 people?????!!!!???? Huh, yeah, not your average day at the "W" or the "Waldorf." Walking into this...I was very apprehensive. "Ooo can I go back home now? I don't know if I can live like this all the time." But see most of the natives know no other way. This is their life and that's why it is so beautiful. TUDO BEM!!! BELEZA! Now don't get me wrong it's a pretty spacious house and very clean. T?he staff makes sure it stays in perfect condition. Did I mention how beautiful and amazing they are? Ms. Laura(the cook) is fierce and Jo(her assistant) can throw down also...don't sleep! I had some slamming scrambled eggs this morning. And guess what? They had no cheese in them. And I LOVE me some CHEESE IN MY EGGS. But this morning, not an ounce. Ms. Laura seasoned those eggs to perfection. I think if I added cheese, it would have destroyed the taste. This is great. So yeah, back to the rooms...I was so unsure. However, just thinking about how fortunate I am put everything into perspective. And in that moment I decided to release my current uncertainties and accept the lifestyle of living here in Salvador.
"GET OUT OF YOUR HEAD and GET OUT OF YOUR OWN WAY."
So here I am sitting on my bottom bunk, which is actually pretty comfy and the natural breeze is pretty nice. Here I take the time to write as my journey continues to unfold. Well it's time for a nap, and then to the beach...Nice......
My advice for Growth:
"Get out of your own HEAD
and Get out of your own WAY!"
-Cornelius "Life" Jones

No comments: