Thursday, February 09, 2006

What is going On People??!!??

It's Thursday and I have mad errands to run. I'm getting ready to embark upon my cultural exchange in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. Yes, on Saturday I will be boarding my flight to Salvador. I will be there for 2 weeks. Now, let me tell you exactly what I'll be doing. I'm a volunteer for Cross Cultural Solutions(www.crossculturalsolutions.org). CCS provides a list of volunteer services and aid in several third world countries globally. I chose Bahia because I love Brazil and I love the culture I had the opportunity to visit Rio De Janeiro, twice, within the past 3 years. I was blown away by the country the minute I stepped off the plane. Words cannot express how I felt...and those of you who know me, know that I love to play with words. Well upon my return, a fellow friend/coworker, saw a complete positive change in me. She was like, "Cornelius you saw something there. You were enlightened." And that's so true. I came back a new spirit. My friend, knowing that I was dying to get back, and knowing how much of a humanitarian I am, suggested that I research CCS. She handed me a small introductory brochure, and after that I was determined to follow through.
Well here I am almost 3 years later beginning my mission. While in Salvador, I will be volunteering at the CAASAH House. It's a support house for infant, children, and adults who are all infected with HIV/AIDS virus, some of who come from the streets to live in the house. I'll be assisting with feeding, bathing, and clothing the infants and children, as well as playing games and doing extra-curricular activities with them. And I will assist the staff in organizing and facilitating daily activities for the adults. I know it's going to be hard work, but I'm ready for the challenge. I'm sure it'll be life changing for me as well. I need to finish packing, get my finances in order, pack my puppy's(Boogie) bag, call my broker, buy a carry on....just stuff....How is your day?
"When old Dreams die,
New ones are Created...
So never Lose your Joy and Life
in LIFE"
-Cornelius "Life" Jones

1 comment:

C.R. Knight said...

well alright... work it out for starting a BLOG! you should definitely use this to talk about your journey in salvador. i wish i had done so when i went there last year. so do it up and be sure to have fun!