Thursday, March 02, 2006

"LIFE" in Salvador...Pt. 4

What's up everyone? So I am officially back in NYC, and it is COLD here! Where is the sun??? Where?????? I really ejoyed my time in Salvador, and I'm planning on returning to work at the hospital. I'm a new man. I feel wonderful. And I can honeslty say that with a smile on the inside and outside...."I FEEL WONDERFUL!" I encourage everyone of you, to do something of this nature, before you move on to the next life. Well enjoy this journal entry below. Just a quick note...when speaking about the kids I worked with, I chose to only use initials, and not full names. It's to respect their privacy. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 2/14/06
Happy Valentine's Day. So yesterday was really cool. I went to bed at 8PM. I was really tired. I'm getting OLD! But I mainly wanted to conserve my energy for the kids. By the way, they are so adorable. I can't wait to see them again today. I'll take my games today. Hopefully they like it. I'll teach them. I'll start with Connect Four. I found the kids to be very special. Some look very healthy while a few look a little sick. You can just tell by the skin rashes and open sores. It must be painful, and as child all you do is scratch. The hospital is like a shelter. There is no A/C. 4-6 to a room. There are cribs and twin beds, which are not comfortable at all. The mattress is basically a thin piece of foam covered in plastic, and the wooden bedframe. Some of the kids even have, what looks like, bed sores. I want to take each one back home with me, and show them how good life can be.My favorite so far, and I think all of them are special(some are little more work than others), is "E". He's about 11/2. He's so well behaved. Always smiling. He stayed under my arms the entire time, and he loves to sing. He's a cutie, and he has these big bubbly and innocent eyes. Just open to all the love he can get. Another baby who had become attached to me very quickly was "D". I became quickly attached to her as well. She was mine. However, her mom came to visit and she had to leave me. That's understandable. I took a peek at her mom. She appeared really sad. She looked healthy. I know it must be hard, to not be in good physical and mental condition, to take care of your own child. I wanted to know more of Mom's story. I could see a lot behind her eyes. Maybe I'll get a chance to talk to her before I leave. The third child was this cute little boy(initially we all the he was a little girl), I don't know his name, but he was about 11 months. Everyone said how difficult it was to get him to show any emotion. Most times he would be left alone in his crib to play by himself. Well I went for a walk through the rooms and discovered this little one all alone. I felt sad for him. I caught him playing with the light switch, and like most little kids he jumped when he saw me...he knew that was wrong. I stood there for a few minutes trying to make eye contact, but he would not look my way. I contemplated leaving, but decided to wait it out. So I reached my arms out to him, and out of nowhere he jumped into my arms and never left my arms for the duration of the work day. There are two other boys that I'm trying to work on...they are a bit on the rough edge..."L" and I don't know the other boys' name. They are a piece of work. The alpha male syndrome has already blossomed within. It's going to be tough, but I just want to show them unconditional love, and maybe it'll get rid of some of the aggression. Well I have to shower and eat before I head to work. My run this morning was fierce! I'm pumped....

No comments: